Back Stretches to target your low back outside of pregnancy: Hold each stretch for 10-30 seconds
1. Psoas Stretch: Get into a lunge position, ensuring that your front knee is at 90 degrees and your hips are square. Slowly lean forward in your legs pushing the knee over the ankle [rather than bending at the waist]. You should feel a stretch in the front of your hip. For more, push your opposite hand into your knee and rotate to look over your shoulder.
2. Knee-to-chest: Lying on your back, pull each knee to your chest, keeping the other leg straight. This helps stretch the low back paraspinal muscles as well as your hamstrings.
3. Piriformis stretch: On the ground, make a figure four by crossing one ankle over your knee. Lie back and pull your thigh towards you.
4. Knee hug: While lying on your back, pull both knees into your chest. If feels really nice to rock side to side in this position! The stretch should be felt in the low back and glutes.
5. Cobra: Lying on your stomach, lift your upper body and position yourself on your forearms. The progression of this stretch is to be positioned on your hands pressing downward to straighten your arms.
6. Child's pose: it works really well if you go into this position after cobra pose. Sit on your feet, with toes together, knees apart. Sit back and lay forward letting your body drop and relax. This stretch is good for the entire spine + you can get into your side body by reaching to each side.
7. Exercise ball Extension: Grab your exercise ball and lay back on it! Simply relax and let your body fall over.