Before having my son almost five years ago, I knew very little about chiropractic. I saw an amazing chiropractor throughout my pregnancy, but it didn’t occur to me that I should have my son checked after birth for any spinal misalignments. Luckily and coincidentally, a family member who is a chiropractor came to the hospital to see our one day old son and mentioned checking Lincoln for any misalignments. He explained how position during pregnancy and actual birth can cause misalignments that if left uncorrected, can lead to symptoms such as colic, gas, and troubles breastfeeding. So at one day old, our beautiful little boy was adjusted. Adjusting an infant differs significantly than an adjusted performed on an adult. It was very gentle and light fingertip pressure was used. Watch the video below to see how quickly he relaxes after his first adjustment!
5 Reasons Chiropractic Care is Safe For Kids
1. “Chiropractic care for children is one of the safest and least invasive forms of healthcare available.” -Chirofutures, a leading malpractice insurance company
2. With chiropractic care continuing to grow in popularity, many parents are wondering if it is safe for their child. And the answer is YES! Chiropractic safety studies in children shows that it is safe and effective. Millions of chiropractic adjustments occur across the globe each day. The safety of chiropractic care in children appears to be similar to chiropractic care in adults. Most side effects are very mild and self-limiting such as muscle soreness that goes away within a day or two. Now let’s look at some of the research.
3. In May of 2003, Anthony Rosner PhD stated that, “The risk estimates attributed to cervical manipulation are significantly less (by order of magnitude) than those associated with various medical procedures and lifestyle activities.”
4. In his book Current Concepts- Vertebrobasilar Complications following Spinal Manipulation says, “Chiropractic adjustments are among the safest procedures in the provision of human health care service, when compared to morality and morbidity rates in medical practice.”
5. Doctors of Chiropractic have been providing proactive, drug-free healthcare for families across the world for over 100 years. Skilled chiropractors can help you and your children achieve and maintain optimal health.
Studies To Back the Safety of Chiropractic Care for Children
1. Another study found that chiropractic care was 250 times safer than a course of anti-inflammatory drugs. 250 TIMES SAFER!
2. In one study that consisted of more than 5,000 pediatric visits, no complications were reported. The most common improvements included were decreased pain, increased disposition, and increased immune function.
3. A 3-year retrospective study of pediatric cases in England concluded that was a safe form of therapy in the treatment of patient in this age group. This study consisted of 697 children with a total of 5242 chiropractic treatments, with 85% of parents reporting an improvement.
But what if my obstetrician/pediatrician doesn’t recommend chiropractors?
If your OB or pediatrician doesn’t approve of chiropractic, be sure to ask them what recent exposure they have had with chiropractic. Your chiropractor will be able to be in contact with your medical provider and speak with them or provide them with any research to help answer any questions your medical provider may have.
For more research and information on the safety & effectiveness of chiropractic care in children, check out acapedscouncil.org
LET'S CAPTURE THESE EARLY MOMENTS
In light of the beautiful nature of childhood + motherhood, we want to share this beautiful work by AMG Photography. Ann captures incredible work through artistic lifestyle family photography. Keep a lookout for her "Celebrating Motherhood Photography Sessions" being offered from March 15 - May 31. Capture your beautiful moments with your beautiful babes! Check out her most recent blog post + contact info: