Kids are always on the go, just like their moms! Kid athletes are especially prone to injuries with their high activity levels! CHIRO FOR KIDZ shares four problem joints our athletes present with + how chiropractic care can help!
From infancy to adolescence, our kids are busy! They have bumps, tumbles, and trips along the way that can lead to long term movement changes and can play a role in future injuries. Probably the most susceptible to injuries are our athletes. Mild injuries, such as shoulder pain or an ankle sprain, can get overlooked or ignored because kids want to keep playing! Below, we share 4 of the most common joints that are involved in athlete injuries + how chiropractic care can help!
Ankle sprains and strains are one of the most common injuries in young athletes. A sprain occurs when a ligament is over stretched, while a strain refers to a torn muscle. The common term for an ankle sprain is a ‘twisted ankle’. This fits perfectly, as they typically occur when the ankle is unstable and collapses outward or inward. Kids with flat feet have a small increased risk, as their ankle falls inward with their decreased arch support.
2. ShouldersShoulder pain and injuries typically result from repetitive actions. Baseball + softball, swimmers, volleyball + basketball players seem to be the highest risk with the nature of their sport. Whether it's pitching, spiking, or shooting, the repetitive motion leads to a decreased range of motion in the shoulder. When our range of motion is decreased - injuries such as rotator cuff pain, are more likely.
Another infamous joint that causes problem for our athletes are hips! Here we see more issues in dancers and runners. Dancers are typically requiring a large range of motion in their hips, as well as being able to handle loads as they jump! For runners, the reverse is usually true— their hip joints are tight from repetitive flexion. For both of theses athletes, stretching and strengthening are key!
The tennis elbow and golfers elbow are prominent elbow injuries with athletes and non-athletes. Many athletes outside of tennis and golf experience elbow pain, but regardless these conditions are caused by repetitive pulling on the elbow joint by the forearm muscles. Muscle work is incredibly important in treating these conditions as well as assessing the joints themselves!
What Chiropractic Treatment Looks Like:
- Joint assessment: We first assess the joint + its motion! [we like to say we are finding the ‘sticky’ spots]
- Adjustments: We can adjust practically any joint which can help improve range of motion + function as well as reduce pain.
- Soft tissue work + Taping: many joint injuries can benefit from active soft tissue work that helps break up adhesions in the muscle tissue and lengthen tight muscles! We also utilize kinesiotape which improves lymphatic drainage [inflammation!] and decreases pain.
- Specific + Targeted Stretching: After finding the root cause of the joint pain, our pediatric specialist provide stretches to target the soft issue! Plus we have stretching videos on our website for easy home help!
- Co-management: We work with other leading health professionals in the area! If your injury needs co-management such as physical therapy, acupuncture, or massage, we have many referrals in our back pocket!
Chiropractic care at CHIRO FOR KIDZ can help your young athlete stay pain free while playing! Ignored or overlooked injuries, like an ankle sprain, can lead to changes in how we move our body— our basic biomechanics. These compensatory movements are what can lead to more injuries down the road. Keep your kiddos playing + pain free with the help of regular adjustments at CHIRO FOR KIDZ!